This spin on Classic Potato Salad is packed full of protein, fiber and vitamins! Replacing half of the potatoes with cauliflower lessens the calories. The White Bean ‘Mayo’ is a wonderful alternative to egg based mayonnaise, making this tasty treat a great addition to your picnic.
Just a tip: Don’t tell anyone that this is a healthy salad! The taste will speak for itself and you can win people over with that alone! Please use organic potatoes if you can and don’t peel them! Most of the nutrition will be lost if you do!
The New Classic Potato Salad
- 1 pound waxy potatoes, diced (Red or Yukon Gold are my favorite)
- 1 pound or 1 small head cauliflower (you can use frozen florets if desired)
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper (around ½ of a medium)
- ½ cup celery, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion or shallot
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
White Bean Mayo
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed or 1 ½ cups cooked cannellini beans
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ cup best quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1. Scrub potatoes, dice into 1 inch pieces
- 2. Prep cauliflower into 1 inch pieces
- 3. In a 4 quart pan, add 8 cups water and a good pinch of salt, place potatoes in the cold water and bring to a rolling boil for 2 minutes. Add Cauliflower and boil for 2 more minutes.
- 4. Drain potatoes and cauliflower in a colander
- 5. To make the mayo, place all of the ingredients except olive oil in a food processor
- 6. Process for 2 – 3 minutes or until very smooth; slowly drizzle in the olive oil
- 7. Toss the potato/cauliflower mixture with the red peppers, celery, red onion and dressing.
- 8. Chill for 2 hours then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary; sprinkle with fresh dill and paprika before serving.
Fat: 11 grams: saturated 1, polyunsaturated 3, Monounsaturated 7
Carbohydrates: 25 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 5 grams
Sodium: 500 mg