Friday, June 07, 2013

30 Minute Jamaican Curried Black Eyed Peas, Collards and Mushrooms


I used my Curry In a Hurry Method to create this simple, yet very flavorful meal.  It was SCREAMING hot, because my Devilish Habanero Salsa was the base of the sauce and the Spicy Jamaican Curry Powder was also hot.   


You can use mild salsa and curry powder or whatever floats your boat!  I made a single (large) serving for myself.  What I love about my method of having 3 base sauces, 2 cooked legumes and 2 cooked grains on hand, is that I can create endless combinations of meals that come together in 30 minutes or less, but taste like they've been cooking all day long!

Here's the recipe! Serves 1 hungry person or 2 with normal appetites.

Curry In a Hurry Jamaican Beans and Greens 


  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely minced
  • pinch fresh nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp curry powder of choice
  • pinch cinnamon
  • 1 cup cooked black eyes peas or legume of choice
  • 3 cups raw collards, kale or other sturdy green
  • 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms
  • pinch fresh thyme
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1/2 - 1 cup water if needed
  • Soy Sauce/Black Pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Heat a cast iron or large skillet to medium; saute the onion, garlic ginger, nutmeg, curry powder and cinnamon along with a hefty pinch of salt for 5 minutes or so.
  2. Add the legumes, greens mushrooms and fresh thyme along with the salsa and 1/2 cup water. 
  3. Cover and bring to a strong simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
  4. If needed, add more water. Taste and adjust seasoning and enjoy! 
I love eating savory dishes for breakfast.  The spicier the better! 

1 comment: