I used my Curry In a Hurry Method to create this simple, yet very flavorful meal. It was SCREAMING hot, because my Devilish Habanero Salsa was the base of the sauce and the Spicy Jamaican Curry Powder was also hot.
Here's the recipe! Serves 1 hungry person or 2 with normal appetites.
Curry In a Hurry Jamaican Beans and Greens
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- pinch fresh nutmeg
- 1 tbsp curry powder of choice
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 cup cooked black eyes peas or legume of choice
- 3 cups raw collards, kale or other sturdy green
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms
- pinch fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 - 1 cup water if needed
- Soy Sauce/Black Pepper to taste
- Heat a cast iron or large skillet to medium; saute the onion, garlic ginger, nutmeg, curry powder and cinnamon along with a hefty pinch of salt for 5 minutes or so.
- Add the legumes, greens mushrooms and fresh thyme along with the salsa and 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and bring to a strong simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- If needed, add more water. Taste and adjust seasoning and enjoy!
I love eating savory dishes for breakfast. The spicier the better!