Saturday, June 01, 2013

Chipotle Soy (or other white bean) Hummus


I cooked up 4 cups of dried soybeans the other day to use in recipes and smoothies and had around 3 cups leftover, and since it is wicked hot outside, I knew hummus would be a great thing to have on hand.  When isn't hummus a good thing to have on hand?  It is so versatile.  My normal chipotle hummus recipe is great, but I tweaked it a little bit to use what I had on hand.

If you're not into soy (and the soybeans I used are white, cooked soybeans, although you could probably do this with edamamae if you don't mind a grittier texture) feel free to substitute with chickpea, black eyed peas,  lentils, yellow split peas or any other white bean.  I, personally, am a big fan of non-gmo soy and think it's a great addition to my diet.

Soybean Chipotle Hummus
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 3 ¼ cups cooked soybeans
  • 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
  • 2 canned chipotle peppers
  • ¼ cup tahini
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • 2/3 cup lemon juice
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce, tamari or Braggs Amino Acids
  • ¼ cup fresh cilantro

Method: In a food procesoor:
  1. Pulse garlic and salt until it becomes a paste
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until very well combined
I enjoyed 1/2 cup of this hummus this morning as an addition to this huge salad.  The salad contained: 
  • cabbage
  • arugula
  • tomatoes
  • carrots
  • sprouts
  • avocado
  • house-made garlic-caraway sauerkraut
  • bamboo smoked black sesame seeds
  • daikon
  • sriracha
I love eating salads for breakfast.  The bigger , the better!  



Did you know that you can easily make your own tahini if you have a food processor?  It is so much cheaper. 


What is your favorite type of hummus?


No comments:

Post a Comment