Sunday, June 30, 2013

Simple 100% Teff Injera with video!


The Boyfriend and I LOVE Ethiopian food, so we created our awesome Ethiopian Spice mixtures, which allow us to create amazing dishes in to time at all.  Many come together in less than 30 minutes, but the elusive Injera was a bit of a mystery that we have finally figured out!  You see, Injera is a flatbread made from Teff flour. Teff has naturally occurring yeast and will create an amazing, sour, fluffy dough, or at least that's what we assumed the first time we made it.  As you can see in the picture below, it is not fluffy or airy at all and it was very hard to work with.  It was delicious though!


Here are links to the recipes for the dishes we served:


Notice how dense the Injera is?  Here is a picture of the Injera we enjoyed at Fasika. 


See the difference?  Well, we did some research and we realized that many restaurants cut the Teff flour with white flour and add yeast to get the airy texture.  The next time we made Injera, we took batter from our previous batch (from the freezer) and added some white flour, water and yeast.  Our Injera was very similar to what we were used to getting in a restaurant.  We had to fiddle around with the cooking process a bit, but we realized that a non-stick pan heated to medium high with no oil worked the best.  Here is an impromptu video we shot while we were making it..  You can see the cooking process.  You only cook injera on one side.  


So, fast forward to a couple days ago.  We scored some whole Teff at Market Basket (BEST store ever!).. and since I have my awesome Vita Mix, I pulled it out and ground up some flour.  You can buy Teff flour at many Whole Foods or online.  Bob's Red Mill is the brand I have used, both for the flour and the whole grain.  


I knew that we could make the Injera with the added white flour, but wanted not only a whole grain product, but a gluten free product as well, so I decided to experiment with yeast. The Boyfriend, being awesome as usual, suggested we use a couple tbsp of our Sauerkraut liquid to jump start the fermentation process.  

If you don't have live sauerkraut, you could probably add a tablespoon of yogurt (dairy or vegan, just make sure it's plain and full of live bacteria).  

100% Teff Injera
  • 2 cups teff flour
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1 tbsp live sauerkraut brine 
  1. stir everything together, allow it to sit, loosely covered in a very warm place for 24 hours. 
  2. take 1 tsp of yeast along with 2/3 cup water and a pinch of sugar or honey; allow mixture to bloom for 5 minutes, then stir it into the teff mixture along with 2 tsp salt. 
  3. Let the yeast/teff mixture sit uncovered for 3 hours
Ladle into a hot pan and cook until all of the air bubbles come to the surface (see video) and below:



It was really as easy as it looks.  Just made sure you are patient and allow it took cook completely before trying to take it out of the pan. I like to roll mine immediately and stack them, otherwise they tend to stick to the plate or each other. 


YUM! 

I hope that you will give this a try. I know our method is very different from a lot of recipes online, but trust me when I say that this Injera ROCKS!  You will love it. 



I also used it as a wrap for my New Mock "Tuna" spread made from whole soybeans.  Recipe coming up tomorrow! 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, LOVED the video! I've always been curious about injera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing...looks just beautiful and I'm sure it was delicious.
    Could you tell me how you place videos directly onto your blog posts?? I cannot figure out how to share other's videos this way. I would be so grateful if you could share that.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try this as I had injera at an East African restaurant and loved it! So looking forward to this as soon as I can find the teff flour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's cool. I especially like that it only has to be cooked on one side. And that it's GF! I have no problem at all being vegan ... but the gluten free thing sometimes feels limiting. This will give me something to play with :)

    ReplyDelete