Wednesday, July 31, 2013

20 Minute Curried Lentils, Millet and Spinach


Oh how I LOVE savory breakfasts!  Even though I'm not sticking to my $3.33 a day budget anymore, I still use most of the methods I used to in order to create healthy and delicious meals in 30 minutes. Click HERE to read more about my method and a sample weekly menu.

The above dish came together in 20 minutes because I had cooked lentils and millet on hand as well as my spice mixtures.  



20 Minute Curried Lentils, Millet and Spinach


  • 1 tbsp coconut oil 
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp black mustard seeds
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 10 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
  • 4 roma tomatoes
  • 3 cups cooked lentils
  • 1 cup cooked millet
  • 3 cups water
  • 5 cups fresh spinach
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • Salt/pepper to taste


Method:

  • In a heavy bottom soup pan heat the oil and spices over medium heat until the mustard seeds pop
  • Add the onion, garlic, tomato and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes
  • Ad the lentils, millet and water, cover and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. 
  • Take off heat and stir in the fresh spinach, lime juice, cilantro and salt/pepper to taste. 
Enjoy! 


2 comments:

  1. Savory breakfasts are the best! Especially curried savory breakfasts. This sounds just about perfect for an early morning protein jolt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. I'm a HUGE fan of early morning protein... especially in the form of beans.... and lots of veggies... it gives me great energy!

      Delete