Monday, July 08, 2013

Two More Spice Mixes: Ethiopian and South Indian


The Boyfriend and I went to Blue Nile for dinner last night.  It is the second time I've eaten there and I really enjoy it! Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of the food, but I was inspired by their spice mixture to come up with yet, another one of my own! I'm a fan of creating my own mixes, and today I'm thrilled to share two more with you!

Whenever I go out for Ethiopian food, I always ask them to bring me a side of their House Spice Mix.  I love heat in my food, and Boston peeps don't, so it is rarely spicy enough for me without adding more.  The Boyfriend and I love to discern what is in the spice mix, so we can come home and make our own.  Each restaurant has a slightly different version, so it is interesting to compare them to each other.

We use Extra Hot, Indian Chili Powder in our recipes. If you don't have access to that, you can use cayenne.   Do NOT use commercial "Chili Powder".  It is not the same thing at all.  If you are sensitive to heat, please feel free to cut the amount by 1/2 - 2/3.  If you can't take heat at all, feel free to use sweet paprika.

I am calling the first mixture, Ethiopian2.
  • 3 tbsp hot chili powder
  • 2  tbsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp allspice
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp white pepper
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp amchoor
  • ¼ tsp cardamom
  • 2 tsp salt



The second mixture is somewhat based on South Indian Curry Powder.


South Indian Inspired Curry Powder
  • 1 tbsp fennel
  • 1 tsp cardamom
  • 1 tbsp coriander
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic
  • 1/8  tsp fenugreek
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamom
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp salt
This powder is not hot at all!  I mixed the two together and created this amazing Spicy Ethiopian Tofu with Cabbage, Okra and Tomatoes for breakfast.  Recipe coming up in the next post! 




No comments:

Post a Comment