Friday, August 16, 2013

Simple, Overnight Pickled Hot Peppers


We have not had the best of luck with our garden.  This is the first one we have done, and we are dealing with several challenges; most notably, lack of sun and bugs. 

Fortunately, our jalapenos are thriving. so yesterday, I made a quick batch of pickled jalapenos and then someone on facebook mentioned pickled habaneros, which we have on hand, so I pickled some of those too. 

Now, I have a habit of adding everything but the kitchen sink to my recipes, but The Boyfriend wanted to keep it simple, so I used, vinegar and salt. No spices, garlic, onion or even peppercorns! 


Look at these beautiful jalapenos! 

Simple Pickled Peppers
  • around 3 cups hot peppers, chopped into rings
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Kosher salt (or any salt that does not contain Iodine or caking agents)

Method
  1. Bring the water, vinegar and salt to a boil
  2. Chop Peppers
  3. Pack the peppers into sterilized glass jars
  4. Pour bring over peppers, put lids on and let the jars cool on the counter. 
  5. Place in fridge overnight and enjoy! 
Pickled Jalapenos

Pickled Habaneros

I enjoyed my super hot habaneros on a a Black Bean Burger for breakfast this morning! 


Yes, they were very, very, spicy! No, I don't recommend "normal" people eat this amount of habaneros!  Did I mention that I once won a hot pepper eating contest against a bunch of marines in a bar?  

Here are some more simple pickle recipes! 







Don't forget, you can save the brine from olives or pickled peppers and even dill pickles!  I made some awesome pickled turnips that I used in my amazing Ethiopian Bread Salad! 


Speaking of pickles, stay tuned for an update on our Nuka Pickles! (Traditional Fermented Japanese Pickle)