The Boyfriend said this was one of the best things he's ever eaten. You have to understand, this man does NOT say something like this lightly. I did add a couple drizzles of olive oil, sriracha, and some feta cheese to his salad, so keep that in mind if you make this.
I'm a huge fan of bread salads. In fact, when I was the Chef at Old Vines Wine Bar, my Panzanella Salad got the attention of the local paper and they came and did a story about it.. here is a quote from the article.
"Early in August, I got an e-mail from someone I've interviewed once or twice over the years on other topics. Richard West, who has a home in Cape Elizabeth, once taught at the University of Southern Maine and is now chair of the department of communication studies at Emerson College in Boston.
- Cast iron is best; you want to get your pan really hot and non-stick pans should not be heated this high. Do not do this in a stainless steel pan.
- Patience is your friend. Wait for the tofu to start to pull away from the pan. You can't force this process.
- The second side will cook much faster
- Make sure to rotate your pan so you don't get hot spots.
I tossed my tofu with a tiny bit of soy sauce for this recipe. I also used some chickpea flatbread because I had it on hand. I also played around with herbs and used what I had on hand. Since I am counting calories, I didn't add any extra oil or cheese to my dish.
- 2 10 inch leftover injera (I used one chickpea flatbread)
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil (my ghee had some of my Ethiopian Spices mixed into it)
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 10 radishes, sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled turnip (optional; I used leftover olive brine to pickle mine)
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced red onions
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- 7 oz dry friend tofu
- 1/4 cup olive brine
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
- *optional: sriracha, olive oil, feta cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add the ghee or coconut oil and toast the injera
- In a mixing bowl, add the rest of the ingredients.
- Just before serving, mix the two together.
This is a total clean out the fridge meal, so please feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand!