Monday, September 23, 2013

Put the mustard in the brownies... oh yes, I did. Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies.

First of all, thank you so much for the awesome emails and Facebook messages regarding my last post.

Now onto Brownies.  Specifically brownies made from a failed mayonnaise attempt.  Well, actually TWO attempts... but I turned the first batch into some fantastic Chipotle - Garlic - Honey - Dijon Spread (that actually set up like mayo in the fridge.).

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

So, it is pretty strange that I FAILED at making mayonnaise TWICE this morning.  I used to make it on a regular basis when I was the Chef at the Wine Bar.  

I'm still not quite sure what went wrong.  My past mayo making was done in the Vita Mix, in large batches... but I wanted a modest amount... 1 cup of mayo this time, so the first attempt was by hand with a whisk.  FAIL.  Second attempt was via the food processor.  I used a Martha Stewart recipe, which may not be a good one? I would think Martha would KNOW how to make the best mayo out there.... but who knows?


So, it broke and I was kind of pissed off that I had now wasted two cups of oil. I knew there as no way in hell that we'd eat another super fatty dressing/sauce (especially and egg based one, since I probably won't have much of it)...  and I remembered my Gluten Free Chocolate Cake recipe that uses my Vegan Mayo.. and decided I'd use broken mess of "mayo" as a base for brownies. Now, I have to tell you that I did not come up with the idea of using mayo in cakes.  I think it was a wartime discovery....  I don't know who to give credit to... but I know when I first experimented with it, it was because I had read something, somewhere, probably in some old church cookbook I picked up at the Goodwill or a garage sale.  

I didn't want to make a cake because I only had white whole wheat flour.  I figured, I could make brownies, kind of based on my awesome Vegan, Gluten Free Brownies... but (sooo ironically) modifying my vegan/gluten free recipe to use the broken egg/oil mixture... and what do you know, it worked beautifully!  After I spread the mixture into my baking pan, I was compelled to add around 1 cup of natural peanut butter and swirl it in.

Brownies
  • Mayo Mixture (or 1 cup of mayo)
  • 2 egg whites 
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp instant coffee
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup peanut butter

  1. Pre-heat oven to 325
  2. Mix everything together (Except peanut butter) and spread into a greased 9 by 13 pan. Pour peanut butter on top and swirl in with a fork..
  3. Bake for 45 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.
  4. Cool completely and cut into 12 - 16 pieces. 

6 comments:

  1. Mustard brownies? I think you mean mayo brownies! :) I was having a really, really, really hard time wrapping my brain around mustard brownies, and now I know why. ;) Eggs and oil (and a little vinegar or lemon juice) in brownies makes sense, though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.. right.. I guess people might think the peanut butter is mustard... that would be just gross.. although, I have made a mustard cheesecake before ..

      Delete
  2. Excellent save! I am glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I was a little thrown off as well, especially when I saw that golden mustard-y swirl atop the chocolate brownies. My first reaction was like "Wha....? Mustard in chocolate BROWNIES...????", lol -- but yep, mayo in the brownies makes perfect sense ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.. yeah... it does look like mustard.. now would be pretty darn gross

      Delete