Wednesday, November 20, 2013

$25 Dollar Tree Challenge: Blueberry Smoothie and Cajun Stew


I have a backlog of pictures and recipes to post from the $25 Dollar Tree Challenge, but wanted to share this simple smoothie..  I used 2 cups of the soymilk, along with 1/2 bag of frozen blueberries and some flax meal I had at home.  I had a total of 2 of these shakes during the challenge.  Like I said, I really wish I had been able to get some oats, because having a hot bowl of oatmeal, soymilk and blueberries would have been nice.

Nutrition Facts: (I am not including the flax since I did not buy that at the Dollar Tree)

  • 260 calories
  • 4 grams fat
  • 42 grams carbs
  • 13 grams protein
  • 8 grams fiber
  • 92% calcium
  • 14% iron
Not a shabby small breakfast.  I had an early lunch of Cajun Stew:


For the Cajun Stew:
  • 1 tbs coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 6 cloves garlic, chopped
  • Cayenne to taste 
  • 1/2 cup frozen onions and peppers
  • 3 cups cooked kidney beans
  • 1 can tomatoes, okra and corn,
  • 1 cups marinara sauce 
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup bean cooking liquid
  • 1 1/2 cups leftover Rice and Beans (from the box) 
  • Lemon Pepper to taste
Method:
  1. I heat the spices in the oil and add the garlic. Cook for a minute, then add the peppers/onions and cook for 5 minutes.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. 
  3. Taste and adjust seasonings. 
Both The Boyfriend and I enjoyed this.  I had it for around 3 meals all together and he had 1 bowl of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment