Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Eat More Plants!

I love Plant-Based Food!!
I think I've finally figured out my point of view when it comes to this blog.  It is so simple:

EAT MORE PLANTS!!

 If you can afford GMO free, organic plants, good for you! 

If you can't, then don't let the fear police stop you! Eat more plants!  Enjoy every bite you put in your mouth and allow the food to nourish you...   I firmly believe that intention matters and if you are introducing fear into your life through food policing, how can that serve your higher good? 

If you only have access to frozen broccoli cuts from China, my opinion is that is a better option than ramen noodles or mac and cheese! 

This blog is a place where I will encourage everyone to eat more plants.

It is not a place to discuss the organic or GMO issue. 

There are MANY blogs/facebook pages that are devoted to those issues. 

I consider myself a food activist and my activism is THIS BLOG..  where I share how I eat more plants. 

I like to eat plants in breakfast breads. Beans are plants. I like eating beans in breakfast breads! 

I like to add plants to smoothies. 

I celebrate plants and happiness. 

I hope I can inspire YOU to celebrate them too. 

This is not to say I don't CARE about organic foods or GMO's.  I do, but I also don't delude myself into thinking that I can change much about the big industry food system and that makes me feel helpless, especially when I know that there are so many American's who are hungry.  

I am grateful that people are taking this cause on, but it's not something I am willing to spend energy on.  

I want to spend my energy sharing my love of plant-based food with everyone. 

I feel this is the most effective use of my particular talents. 

The emails and comments I get about food policing, judgments about the types of food I eat, and GMO's are alienating.  They are also very passive aggressive, often ending with "blessings" or "namaste". 

Please allow me to compare it to a situation I have been thinking about. 

I am a HUGE breastfeeding advocate.  I breastfed both of my kids exclusively.  I believe it is "the best" way to feed children.  I also had an insanely supportive environment in which to breastfeed.  My mother nursed my brother, most everyone in the community I was raised in breastfed.  It was my "NORMAL" and it never occurred to me to do anything else.  I had an easy time with it.  I also was a Stay At Home Mom, so I didn't have to pump.  I was young, but I had a very natural instinct when it came to nursing. 

In MY "perfect world", all children would be breastfed. 

If I go to someone's blog or Facebook page where someone posts a picture of their child being fed a bottle, I would NEVER, EVER dream of saying something like, 
  • Are you feeding your baby formula? 
  • Is that breastmilk in the bottle?
  • OMG, your baby is going to get sick because you feed it formula! 
  • You are aware, that breastfed babies have higher IQ's
I hope you see the parallel to the comments people leave regarding GMO's, organics and other food choices (omg, soy is the devil, omg, wheat is the devil, omg, is that corn, omg, too many carbs, omg, too much protein)

It is NOT appropriate and it is not helpful.

All these types of comments to is DIVIDE us... 

MOST people, do the best they can.  Everyone has struggles. Just because *I* could breastfeed my kids, doesn't mean that everyone can.   I have NO idea what someone else is going through.  

PERIOD.

And neither do YOU. 

So, lets support each other as HUMANS who are doing the best we can. 

I support YOU. I don't care if you are vegetarian, vegan, paleo, gluten free, soy free, eating the Standard American Diet..  

I want all of us to eat more plants. Period. 

I am sharing how I do that and have done it in many situations, from cooking for two teen boys and a husband, to learning how to cook for myself when I divorced and lived on my own, to being laid off and having a food budget of $3.33 a day for myself and one teen son at a time, to gaining a HUGE amount of weight and losing a huge amount of weight, to moving to Boston, to having my children grow up, to starting to eat eggs after NEVER eating them, to living with my Omni Boyfriend... 

Life is fluid.  We all change.  You can either be flexible and go with the flow, or you can resist and hold onto very frigid ideals and break when the wind blows too hard. 

.. and there are those, who are activists in the BIG PICTURE... and you don't see them online, hiding behind a computer screen judging anyone.  They are too busy FIGHTING..

.. and I thank them for that, because I can't be that person. 

I am me.  This is my blog and I want all of us to eat more plants. 

See how simple that is?











13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad it resonated with you.

      Delete
  2. Good for you Melody!!! And, Thank You...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for saying this because it is a message that I think we all need to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I love, love, love your blog, Melody! Right on. Thanks for being brave and speaking the truth with compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your food is sooooo beautiful!!
    I breastfed all 5 children for as long as they wanted. The longest any of them went was 27 months I think. What a blessing it was.
    Peace & Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love the sentiment of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, do you have the recipes for these pictures? Those all look like things I'd really want to try to make!

    ReplyDelete