Monday, November 04, 2013

$25 Dollar Tree Challenge: Savory Broccoli-Cauliflower Soup

Savory Broccoli-Cauliflower Soup

This is the first recipe I've made for my $25 Dollar Tree Challenge.  It's a savory broccoli soup with cheesy notes.   This makes two big servings or 4 smaller servings and I had a big bowl for breakfast.  

Broccoli – Cauliflower Soup
My haul from Dollar Tree
  • ½ tsp smoked paprika or chipotle powder
  • 16 oz frozen broccoli-cauliflower mix
  • 1 cup cooked kidney beans
  • 2 cups soy milk
  • ½ cup frozen peppers and onions
  • ½ cup fire roasted tomato Recipe Starter **SEE NOTE**
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp prepared mustard
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp. coconut oil 
Method:
  • Combine everything together except the salt/pepper and coconut oil in a pan on the stove, cover and bring to a strong simmer for 15 minutes. Take out a couple cauliflower florets if desired, then blend. Taste and adjust seasoning and stir in coconut oil. 
  • Yield: 2 large portions.
*NOTE*-  I HATE this sauce, I only included it in the recipe because it is what I used.  Please use salsa or spaghetti sauce instead, or even canned tomatoes. 

Thanks for the awesome responses here and on Facebook!  I'm created a board on Pinterest too.  

2 comments:

  1. As always, a lovely meal. I told Josh we need to move to the East Coast, and be neighbors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...that certainly looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete