Friday, December 13, 2013

Dec. Pantry Challenge: Copycat Tabasco Chipotle Sauce Recipe


I LOVE hot sauces of all kinds, and Tabasco's Chipotle Sauce is one of my favs for sure!  Most people probably add a couple of drops to their food, but I like to add a bunch, and that can be expensive! A 5 oz. bottle costs around $7.

I decided to attempt to duplicate the sauce and while it's not exactly the same, it's pretty awesome!  I wish I had actually had the sauce on hand to taste and compare before I made this version, but I think this sauce is a great alternative!

I will preface this by saying that I added two ingredients that most people may not have on hand.:

The brine is to add some live bacteria, since traditional Tabasco sauce is made from fermented peppers and they are an ingredient in the sauce.  I suppose you could replace the brine with 1 tsp of regular tabasco.  

The xanthan gum is there as an emulsifier.  You could just leave this out, but the mixture will separate, which is not a big deal in my opinion and would probably give it a more authentic texture.. the gum thickens it as well.

This is my first attempt.  I will probably buy a bottle and really compare the flavors. As I mentioned above, omitting the gum would give a more authentic texture.

Here's the recipe:

  • 12 oz. boiling water
  • 2 Knorr Vegetarian Bouillon cubes
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 1 /2 cups white vinegar
  • 3 tbsp live sauerkraut brine OR 1 tsp Tabasco sauce plus 2 tbsp water
  • 1 7 oz. can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo (use all of it and add the vinegar to it to get all of the essense!)
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
Method:
  1. Pour the boiling water over the veggie cubes, garlic, onion, salt and sugar.  Let stand until room temperature. 
  2. Add mixture to a blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend until totally smooth.  
  3. Pour into a mason jar and chill for 24 hours.
  4. This will keep for at least 1 month!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good and very simple to make.

    Are you planning to post the rest of the recipes from the $25 Dollar Tree Challenge?

    ReplyDelete