Thursday, December 05, 2013

Dec. Pantry Challenge: Saag Paneer and Lime-Edamame Brown Rice and Instant Tomato Onion Chutney


Oh. My. DOG!

Seriously, this is so yummy.  Since this is a pantry challenge, I attempted to simplify the spicing.. and I think I did a good job, although the bonus Tomato-Onion Chutney relies on my Coconut-Mint Chutney and I used my South Indian Curry Powder, but I'm sure you could use regular, store-bought curry powder with great results and top it with store-bought Tomato-Onion Chutney, or better yet, make my awesome Tomato Onion Chutney! (and add some mint/dried coconut.)

So, I decided to finally write down a recipe/method for my Saag Paneer. This is not a vegan recipe, but I will give vegan options. ** Extra Firm Tofu works very well..   please use my DRY FRY technique, but cut the tofu in cubes and fry in coconut oil/spice mixture**

One trick I use with all grains is to toast them.  I swear, getting your toast on allows the grains to cook faster. I use this method with ALL grains.  I also cook grains differently than most people I know.  I eyeball it, but I actually MEASURED for you guys tonight! ... Since I have cooked so many different grains in restaurants, I am very familiar with my eyeball method, but it is kind of hard to convey here, online.

Soooo...... I will talk about the brown rice first.

Edamame Lime Brown Rice

  • 2 cups brown rice
  • Cooking Spray (I like Trader Joes Coconut Oil Spray)
  • Zest of 1 lime
  • 5 Cups Water
  • 1 Knoor Vegetarian Cube
  • 2 Cups thawed Edamame
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Method:

In a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat, add the brown rice and lime zest: toast for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.


Next, add the water and bouillon and water; do not cover and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. (I am making the rice while I'm cooking the Saag Paneer)...

This will cook for around 10 minutes or so....  you really want to watch the water level.... when the water level look like this, you will reduce the heat to a simmer and cover for around 15 minutes.
video
After 15 minutes, add the thawed Edamame, lime juice and cilantro and cover again for 15 minutes:


The Saag Paneer can be made while you are making the rice, but for simplicity sake, I am breaking it down into it's own deal. I am including vegan options as well!

Saag Paneer
In a heavy bottom, 12 inch pan, heat the ghee/oil and curry powder.
Fry the curry powder in the oil for 10 seconds, then add the paneer/tofu and cook until nice and brown.  (around 10 minutes) Remove from pan and set aside.



Next: Add 2 tbsp Ghee or Coconut Oil to the pan and toast these spices for 20 seconds
  • 2 tsp Garam Masala
  • 2 tsp South Indian Curry Powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds

Add:
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 inches fresh ginger, grated
  • 8 cloves garlic, pressed 
video


Cook for 10 minutes; then deglaze with:
  • 1/2 cup sherry
  • 20 oz frozen spinach
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 bouillon cube
video
Cook for 10 minutes, then add the paneer (or tofu)..  along with:

  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 cups almond milk 
  • OR:
  • 13 oz coconut milk (from the can) plus 1 cup water

Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.



Season with salt if needed along with black pepper and the juice of 1 lime. 

Serve over brown rice and add Tomato-Onion Chutney. (Or make this quick version)

Quick Tomato Onion Chutney
Mix everything together and enjoy!

The rice makes a lot of leftovers, which I will be using in the next couple of days... You can also freeze rice (and edamame) in individual portions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment