Sunday, December 01, 2013

December Pantry Challenge!


Happy December everyone!  I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving.  I sure did.  We went to VT to The Boyfriend's parents.  My younger son was able to get away from the college/working grind to spend time with us.  Unfortunately, my older son had to work the next day, so he spent it with his dad's family.

Look at my baby! I can't believe my kids are 20 and 22 years old.


It's always a treat to get away to VT... The Boyfriend's family is lovely and we always have a relaxing time.  Seriously.... they live on the side of a mountain and it's so beautiful.  They build a fire during the cold months and it's awesome to curl up on the couch with a book and just chill!



If I had one wish, it would be that the kitty was friendly.  She LOVES her Mommy and Daddy, but the rest of us, not so much! 

video


They also have a hot tub downstairs that overlooks a very similar view.  Relaxing, eh?

.... but I digress... this is about the food and my pantry challenge.

You see, I can be a bit of a food hoarder.  I'm sure it's because I grew up very poor and we didn't always have enough food.  I like to make sure I have enough.  It was a bigger deal when my kids were little, but I still have these tendencies.

During my Dollar Tree Challenge, I realized that I have so much more than I need.  I am grateful for that, of course, but I don't really feel like I want to be in that place any more.

... so I've decided to do a clean out the fridge/freezer/cupboards and pantry.  I don't have any real rules, only that I will buy produce as needed.  I live with The Boyfriend, but I often eat my own food, so this challenge is more about me than him.  He eats maybe one meal per day, maybe two of the food I eat, so while this affects him, I'm sure some food will be purchased for his needs.

The first week, I plan on eating what I have.  I think I have enough fresh produce to last me, but I will not skimp on it.  If I need more produce, I will buy it.  This isn't so much about money, it is about over-consumption of goods.   I'm pretty sure I have the skeleton basics to last at least a month, maybe more.


2 comments:

  1. I need to do this! I think we could live for a couple of months off of what we have. It might not be what we want or nutritionally balanced after a couple of weeks without buying produce, but we wouldn't starve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in! I have a pantry full of stuff that I never use. I always buy new stuff, only using very little of what I have. While I love that I am buying and eating fresh food, I either need to stop buying pantry items or start keeping them in mind when I decide what to eat!

    ReplyDelete