Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I've joined Weight Watchers... I'm ready to take control of my life again!


Last Friday, I decided to go back to Weight Watchers.  I have had great success with it in the past, and I need all the help I can get right now.  As many of you know, I have struggled with my weight since I started this blog.  When I moved to Boston a little over two years ago, I lost 100 lbs in around 9 months because I was walking everywhere and working on my feet.  I think the fact that I was falling in love with The Boyfriend and had all those awesome happy hormones coursing through my veins didn't hurt either.

I am still very much in love with The Boyfriend, but the last year has been so incredibly stressful.  I got very ill last December with a severe ear infection which was resistant to antibiotics.  I am someone who NEVER takes antibiotics, so the fact that they did not work on me was really scary.  They gave me stronger ones, because they were concerned it might be MRSA. (I had both an inner and outer ear infection.)

While the antibiotics finally worked, they cause a severe intestinal infection called C-Diff, which literally made my life hell for months. I ended up having a surgery in March.  All of this was going on while I was starting a new job in Boston.  Finally, after recovering from surgery and feeling like my life was getting back on track, my long standing foot issues came to a head.  I ended up with two stress fractures that were caused by me walking to compensate for a long standing foot injury which was cause by child abuse and was never treated.  After being in a boot to treat the stress fractures (and having to give up my job where I walked between 3-6 miles per day just go get to and from and then stand on my feet for 8 hours a day), I ended up having foot surgery.

The recovery has been very difficult 

The stress of all of the illness, surgeries has been compounded with PTSD brought up by having to treat the foot situation.  I have also pretty much lost my career as a chef as I know it.   I have been in pain, depressed, stressed and feeling like my life is very much out of my control for a year now, and I turned to what I seem to do best.  Eating for comfort and stress relief.

Since I have been so inactive, this has all contributed to me gaining around 60 lbs back out of the 100 lbs I've lost since I moved to Boston.

I can't tell you HOW depressing this is on so many levels.

But I am READY TO TAKE CONTROL AGAIN!!

I felt like such a victim of circumstances; I even looked into Weight Loss Surgery.  That's how desperate I've become.  I went through all of the testing and everything, and they have postponed the surgery for 6 months, asking me to work on my eating issues with a therapist.

I agree with their decision.  I do not regret that I looked into it, but it is rather drastic for me at this point.  I am on the cusp weight-wise and since I have lost large amounts of weight before on my own and I KNOW how to eat healthy, I know I can do it again.

The difference now, is that I can not be as active as I was due to my foot, so the rather instant losses I am accustomed to aren't happening.  This is a slow process, and obviously, I need to learn patience and learn how to accept where I am today, at this moment.

My foot will recover much faster when I lose weight, but it's not going to happen overnight.

I am going to be using this blog to talk about my mind/body connection and weight issues.  I will post pictures of what I am creating, but I won't be posting many recipes here anymore.

I am going to start a new blog, which will feature many of my old recipes, updated and newly tested, along with my Healthy E-Book Recipes and will charge a one time donation fee of $20 to access the recipes.  The recipes will list Weight Watcher Points and they will be plant-based, but not all will be vegan.  I will include vegan options for the small amount of cheese/dairy I use.  I will write a lot more about this as I am creating it, but it is going to take me 30 days to test/revamp and calculate points for everything I am listing.  When you subscribe to the new blog, you will have access to 100 original and many new recipes, with 7 new recipes added per week.  There will be a complete recipe index and every recipe will have the Weight Watchers points listed.

53 comments:

  1. What a survivor you are. Those events would lay anybody out. I fully support your decision to take control and save your own life once again! I know you have the strength to do it. So, waving flags and streamers over here while you rediscover your way forward with food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exciting and wonderful to hear. I, too, have been dragging around weight that I lost before due to current stress and life struggles and am cheering you on, inspired by your words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's do this! It is so frustrating isn't it?

      Delete
  3. You are a great inspiration to me. I'm re-losing weight now, trying to stay vegetarian, and dealing with old injuries. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, I am sorry you are dealing with this too.. I'll bet there are a lot of people who are dealing with this sort of thing.

      Delete
  4. Yay! I know you'll be successful! And I know how hard keeping weight off with a foot injury can be. I've been going crazy having to be more sedentary than I want to be. I finally came out of the boot again this week (had a false start last week). Hoping it sticks and that I can be back out there running soon. Good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and good luck to you too. I was shocked at how much muscle tone I lost by wearing the boot .. my ankle looked was sooo atrophied.. I hope so much you can start running again too! *HUGS* my friend.

      Delete
  5. Are you going to be removing all of the recipes that you've already posted/published on this site or will you be keeping them here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I'm keeping the recipe here that are already up..

      Delete
    2. And I will probably post new ones here a couple times a month.

      Delete
  6. Wishing you the best, Melody! I can relate with the past coming back to cause pain (and make you eat!) ... WW sounds great, although it never resonated with me all that much. Be well and I hope you have much success in all you do :) ... xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy!

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you every success! I look forward to following you in the new direction of your current blog, and I look very forward to following your new blog when it is ready. I have so much respect for how you persist in healing and reclaiming your life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you! Lost a bunch of weight...regain a lot of it...now reunited with Weight Watchers...we can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! Yes we can.. do you ever frequent the message boards there? The Vegetarian board is very slow.. I'd love to get more people there for support!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on doing what you need to do to take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best of luck to you Melody! You truly have a gift. Don't give up! Did you know there is a 12-step recovery program for compulsive overeating? Many have attained peace with it. Good luck to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure you have researched the low fat raw vegan lifestyle for optimum health and effortless weight loss w/o restriction of calories??!! Look into Dr. Douglas Graham's 80-10-10 lifestyle. It is life changing and so delicious.
    Peace & Raw Health,
    Elizabeth Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't spent much time online lately, so I'm late to comment but I am SUPER excited to hear that you are planning to release an ebook and start a new blog, all with Weight Watchers points!

    Frustrated by my inability to lose weight on my own, I ended up joining Weight Watchers mid-September of last year and have since lost 50.4 pounds. It turns out that a lot of the healthy food I was eating -- anything with coconuts or nuts, fruit juice, avocados -- are calorific, who knew? (For example, I had no idea one avocado had 8 points. I used to love to snack on one or two at a time, no wonder I wasn't losing weight! And I used to eat a ton of peanut butter -- on bread, on pancakes, in sauces, by spoonful straight from the jar.)

    Clearly I was the queen of denial, because I had no idea how many bad habits I had until I started changing them. Anyway, my big motivation for joining Weight Watchers wasn't to lose weight -- although that's been an awesome bonus -- it was the fact that I had become diabetic and my blood sugar levels were so high that I was relying on medication to bring them down. Recently I was able to go off all diabetes medication and my blood sugar levels test in the normal range, so I'm feeling so much better these days.

    I hope that your health is likewise improving!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Make Money Online Without any work, You can Invest as low as 1$ Dollar to 100$ Dollars and Get Daily profit of 2.50% for 90 Days.
    Minimum Withdraw 1 and Instant Payout with PayPal, EgoPay and Perfect Money
    Join Now
    http://www.hotfxearnings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Classified Sites, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and Much More Fun Only on 1 Current Affairs Network
    hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Latest Automotive Information with Pictures, latest speedy cars, top vehicles
    TopAmazingCars.BlogSpot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  17. World Most Popular and Top Amazing Speedy Cars
    TopAmazingCars.BlogSpot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Find Best Online Home based Jobs
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Daily Profit Website without any risk... Genuine Website Join Now
    EarningsClub.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Searching for some new Facebook Covers Online...??? Here is the best for Fb Covers, All type of Covers, Ramadan, Eid, Festivals, Exhibitation, Celebrities and Much More
    UniqueFbCovers.Com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Earn 10% Profit Daily without any work, just invest and rest for your profit
    Facebook.com/groups/EarningsClub
    EarningsClub.Com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Female Celebrties Facebook Covers, Most Popular Fb Covers in the Industry
    UniqueFbCovers.Com

    ReplyDelete

  23. Find best Online Jobs on Facebook...
    JobzCorner

    ReplyDelete
  24. Online Jobs, work from home, part time online jobs, just join any where in the world
    Fb.com/JobzCornerz
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Find Online Jobs ever in the World
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Home Based Business Join Now without any Work
    Earn 400% within a Month
    Payout within 24 Hours with Perfect Money, OkPay and EgoPay
    Join Now
    Dollar-Inv.co

    ReplyDelete
  27. Find Best online home based jobs, data entry, copy pasting, facebook and clicking jobs
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. World Most Popular and Top Amazing Speedy Cars
    TopAmazingCars.BlogSpot.Com

    ReplyDelete




  29. Find best Online Jobs on Facebook...
    JobzCorner

    ReplyDelete
  30. Join for Best Online Home based Jobs
    JobzCorner

    ReplyDelete
  31. Online Business with hourly profit, Just Invest and Rest
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Online Jobs of Data Entry and Copy Pasting with Jobz Corner
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Earn Money with PayPal, Now you can earn 300% profit of your investment on every week, Join Now
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Best Investment Plan with PayPal PayPal PayPal
    Payout within 24 Hours with Perfect Money, PayPal, OkPay and EgoPay
    Join Now
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Find Best Online Jobs from Home with Payment Guarantee
    www.JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Online Business with hourly profit, Just Invest and Rest
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Online Jobs of Data Entry and Copy Pasting with Jobz Corner
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Business at home...??? want to join the best business without any work, just invest and rest
    www.earningsclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. This business is best for you on house earnings, just invest some money and get double profit within a week, join now
    Fb.com/groups/AlltimeProfit
    alltimeprofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Get Facebook Likes on your fb page, likes on your facebook pictures, followers on your facebook id, shares of your facebook posts, every thing is available here, visit for more details
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Want to Make Website or Software...? Any Type of Website and Software and Desktop and Web Based Applications.
    Want to Make Now, Just Contact us at Skype
    Skype : Jobz.Corner

    ReplyDelete