Friday, May 10, 2019

Simple Pickled Onions


Condiments and sauces are my best friend! They can elevate a dish to the next level and are great to have on hand. One of my favs is pickled onions! I used red onions and red wine vinegar because I like the color, but you can use white onions and other kinds of vinegar. I would stay away from a live apple cider vinegar though because the flavor can be a bit intense.
Pickled Onions
  • 1 large red onions, sliced (around 2 cups)
  • 1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 – 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon peppercorns
  • 4 cloves
  • 1 teaspoon allspice berries
  • optional: 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 stevia packet
Method: Massage the onions with the salt, then add the rest of the ingredients. Incorporate them well, then pack mixture into a sterilized glass jar. Make sure the brine is covering the onion. Cover and put in the fridge for at least an hour. This will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment