Sunday, March 12, 2017

Baby it's cold outside! Chickpea-Daikon Stew revisited


It's so cold! Fortunately, my slow cooker has been at work at home while I was away, cooking for work. I normally make this on the stove, but decided to test it in the crockpot. 
Daikon, carrots, potatoes, chickpeas in a savory Asian Fusion gravy is so delicious.The original recipe was born out of me attempting to recreate the Japanese Beef Curry my BF loves. I knew that I didn't want to try to replicate beef, but I love how the chickpea liquid gels when you cook them from scratch, so I knew chickpeas would be a great substitution. And they are! The chickpea liquid coats the veggies in a similar way that meat gelatin does (or so I'm told, I have never really eaten meat, but The Boyfriend confirmed this.) This is such a warming stew; perfect for the weather, but not nearly as heavy as a full potato based stew is.