Thursday, March 16, 2017

Pizza experiment - gone wrong!

Before baking.

I am always looking for ways to improve upon my recipes, and even though I like my gluten-free and vegan pizza, it's still fun to experiment. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of the pizza after baking, because I burnt it almost beyond recognition. There were small edible pieces, and from the taste of them, this pizza would have been amazing. Fortunately, this was only a small pizza for one. 
homemade vegan sunflower-soy mozzarella, shrooms, pepper, onions

I made the cheese out of sunflower seeds and tofu. So many people are allergic to tree nuts that I'm experimenting again with sunflower seeds for cheesemaking. I pulled out some of my old cheese recipes from 2006 and tweaked them a bit.
Sunflower-Soy cheese before baking

Fortunately, I have access to commercial pizza ovens, so I'm going to make another batch of cheese and dough (and sauce) and bake one up there. I will report back!